Thursday, July 28, 2005

R U the Girl?

Clipgirl had Hit Me Baby One More Time.

But for my money, there's no better music-based Summer show than R U the Girl with T-Boz and Chilli. First of all, there's the title. R U the Girl? Couldn't be bothered to actually spell out the words "are" and "you?" Alright. Fair Enough. Moving on....

---I'd like to take this time to get into my entire history with TLC, but seriously, there's just not enough time in the world. Just know this:

1. From eighth grade until I started smoking pot and listening to rock music (probably right before I turned 18, but who the hell knows?), I was obsessed with TLC. Obsessed!


2. I taped TLC pictures to every single notebook I owned.

3. I wore a T-Boz charm bracelet for a while in high school (and didn't get beat up for it! It's amazing, really)

4. When TLC would win, say, a Grammy or Billboard Music Award, the next day at school, kids would actually say, "Oh wow, TLC won R&B Album of the Year! Congratulations!" To which I would reply, "Thanks!"

5. During my high school career, I based at LEAST three term papers and 2 video projects on TLC. Once I had to make a video about Pompeii, and somehow worked in footage from a TLC videotape that made it look like I was interviewing Chilli.

That being said, I was apprehensive when I heard about this new show. It seemed a little tacky to do a reality show to find a replacement for Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes. On UPN.

(Oh, I also had an Andre Rison football jersey, simply because he was married to Left Eye).

But T-Boz and Chilli are making the publicity rounds, letting the viewers of the Late Late Show and Good Morning America that they aren't looking for a replacement. They're merely looking for a talented woman to perform on ONE single on their next CD, and one live performance.

See, that seems like a rip-off. One single? What's the point? Is it really worth it to tarnish the image of the Top-Selling Female Group of All Time (as they referred to themselves about 30 times on the first episode alone -- like, even after Destiny's Child came around? Can someone from Billboard or SoundScan confirm this?)

So if they're really going to go through with this, I have no choice but to watch. T-Boz seems to be a comedic individual. (Chilli comes off as kind of a pill). The contestants so far seem lackluster, but we'll see what happens. Maybe the single will be released, everyone will love it, and T-Boz and Chilli will come out on top.

The fifteen-year-old in me is keeping his fingers crossed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Absolut Billy said...

Funny you just posted this as I just left the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they had the trios outfits from one of the awards shows that had those oval lcd screen things blinking light(im sure that makes no sense to anyone but hopefully Joseph understands)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Yes, the lights used in the "No Scrubs" video. Surely you took pictures for me.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Woodenpurse said...

:/ noooooo

10:02 PM  
Blogger Absolut Billy said...

Sadly cameras were not allowed in the RARHOF

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home