Thursday, July 28, 2005

R U the Girl?

Clipgirl had Hit Me Baby One More Time.

But for my money, there's no better music-based Summer show than R U the Girl with T-Boz and Chilli. First of all, there's the title. R U the Girl? Couldn't be bothered to actually spell out the words "are" and "you?" Alright. Fair Enough. Moving on....

---I'd like to take this time to get into my entire history with TLC, but seriously, there's just not enough time in the world. Just know this:

1. From eighth grade until I started smoking pot and listening to rock music (probably right before I turned 18, but who the hell knows?), I was obsessed with TLC. Obsessed!


2. I taped TLC pictures to every single notebook I owned.

3. I wore a T-Boz charm bracelet for a while in high school (and didn't get beat up for it! It's amazing, really)

4. When TLC would win, say, a Grammy or Billboard Music Award, the next day at school, kids would actually say, "Oh wow, TLC won R&B Album of the Year! Congratulations!" To which I would reply, "Thanks!"

5. During my high school career, I based at LEAST three term papers and 2 video projects on TLC. Once I had to make a video about Pompeii, and somehow worked in footage from a TLC videotape that made it look like I was interviewing Chilli.

That being said, I was apprehensive when I heard about this new show. It seemed a little tacky to do a reality show to find a replacement for Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes. On UPN.

(Oh, I also had an Andre Rison football jersey, simply because he was married to Left Eye).

But T-Boz and Chilli are making the publicity rounds, letting the viewers of the Late Late Show and Good Morning America that they aren't looking for a replacement. They're merely looking for a talented woman to perform on ONE single on their next CD, and one live performance.

See, that seems like a rip-off. One single? What's the point? Is it really worth it to tarnish the image of the Top-Selling Female Group of All Time (as they referred to themselves about 30 times on the first episode alone -- like, even after Destiny's Child came around? Can someone from Billboard or SoundScan confirm this?)

So if they're really going to go through with this, I have no choice but to watch. T-Boz seems to be a comedic individual. (Chilli comes off as kind of a pill). The contestants so far seem lackluster, but we'll see what happens. Maybe the single will be released, everyone will love it, and T-Boz and Chilli will come out on top.

The fifteen-year-old in me is keeping his fingers crossed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Yes, the lights used in the "No Scrubs" video. Surely you took pictures for me.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home