Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I've won hundreds at the track, but I ain't bettin' on the afterlife.


My favorite customer stopped by my work yesterday. I hadn't seen her in weeks. She was in the hospital for a couple of days, and she couldn't drive or get around very well. When she showed up yesterday to say hello, I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes.

You see, she's spent her eighty years on this planet helping others. She took care of her husband when he got back from the war. She's been taking care of her daughter (who suffers from numerous health problems) for almost fifty years. I can tell that she doesn't want anyone helping her now that she needs it.

When she told me, "I know everyone probably wishes I would've died in that hospital," I couldn't do anything except shake my head. I couldn't think of the right thing to say. My boss jumped in: "Well, we sure didn't want that."

I admit, I start many stories with "My favorite customer came in today...." But this woman really is my favorite customer of all time. She puts everyone else before her, and I know i'm not like that. I wish I could say that I enjoy helping others, but I enjoy watching television more. If only there were a way to combine the two....

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Well, she came in today. I asked how she's doing, and I gave her my home phone number in case she ever needs help with something or if there's an emergency. I prefaced it with "Now I know you're stubborn and you'll never call it, but...."

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home