Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Dog show!

Today is the last day of my mini-vacation, and the weather was unbelievable.

park

See?

I decided to go on a picnic with a friend. We made our little sandwiches and carried them to the park down the street, where I discovered that she used to have a Lhasa Apso.

Now, I'm definitely not a dog person. But reminiscing about my childhood dog, Buster, really made me realize how much I loved him.

When we bought him, the previous owner told us we could change the name if we wanted. But frankly, this dog was so dumb, we didn't want to cause him any further confusion. We toyed with the idea of slightly altering his moniker-- maybe Mr. Buster, or Busta Move.

Anyway, one day after school, some friends and I walked to the local tavern to buy a soda (it was the closest business that carried soda, and it was three miles away). Buster, naturally, followed us. When we approached the one lane bridge, I didn't think to grab Buster to keep him safe, and sure enough, a giant 18-wheeler whizzed by. The truck must have clipped Buster (I closed my eyes), because he hobbled along to the side of the road and died.

My stepbrother picked him up and we went to the nearest house to call my mom. I was crying hysterically for a good 30 or 40 minutes. When we got home, I cried in my bedroom with the lights off until my mom finally came in to tell me to eat dinner. I composed myself, and my stepbrother entered, turned on the lights and said, "Joe, look." He felt the need to show me his shirt, covered in my dead dog's blood. Now that I think about it, why didn't he change when he got home? Disgusting.

"Never Say Never" - that dog.

that dog. was my favorite band for, like, five years. I actually got to talk to them on that syndicated radio show "Modern Rock Live," which I still have on tape somewhere. I was so nervous that I cut them off when they were saying their hello's to me.

Anyway, this is the only song that got airplay, I believe, and it's pretty catchy.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is probably going to sound mean, but I have a hard time believing you 'loved' this dog. When I think of you loving things, that's exactly what I think about THINGS. Your iPod, your Tivo, your favorite shirt, etc.

I wonder if I'm the only one that thinks this.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

You're right.

It did sound mean.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. I guess I really just have a problem imagining you loving an animal. Do you have any photos of you with this dog? I want to see you hug an animal.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He only has eyes for Farfel

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He only has eyes for Farfel when he's really drunk. When he's sober Farfel is the most terrifying thing ever.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home