Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Forget, I'm not sure I could

First things first: yesterday, a certain Mink sent me this picture of myself circa 1998.

MVC-022F-1.JPG

Yes, I'm holding a Kermit puppet. Yes, I am rocking a Wu-Tang shirt. And yes, that was my ill-fated attempt at facial hair. I've learned a lot in the past eight years.

And another thing: I uncovered another gem in the dollar section of Record Exchange (thanks shavita!)

DSC00189

And now the main event.

If you've been around me at all in the past month, you'll know that I've begun obsessing over the Dixie Chicks. It actually started back in 2002 when I heard they were working on a bluegrass album. "No drums allowed!" the article claimed. At first I was just curious, but the album quickly jumped on my Top Ten Albums of All Time list.

I'm sure everyone knows what happened next. A comment made by Natalie Maines led to boycotts and death threats. Why they chose to appear nude on a magazine cover, I'll never know. If I had to guess, I'd say they were trying to deflect attention away from the brunette's "crazy eye" (tm blood ray).

capt.1051133564.dixie_chicks_ny123

As Time Magazine reported, many popular musicians have spoken out about the president since "The Incident." Kanye West, Green Day, and Bright Eyes come to mind, although I don't recall people smashing their CDs with steamrollers.

Pink has a new song titled "Dear Mr. President" (sample lyric: "You've come a long way from whiskey and cocaine").

And while she might not be selling out the Savvis Center anytime soon, I certainly haven't seen any calls to boycott her music.

Honestly, I don't know if my opinion about the Dixie Chicks would be any different if she had said, "I'm delighted that the President of the United States is from Texas." What I do know is that their newest album is amazing. It's a shame that Toby Keith-loving country radio stations refuse to play their new music.

If you had told the 19-year-old, Wu-Tang Clan-loving me that I'd be defending the actions and music of a female country music trio when I was 27, I probably would've asked you to share that weed. (No seriously, I was a big pot fiend back then.) But people can change. Except, it seems, for those who love both country music and George W.

The Accidents and Accusations tour was scheduled to stop in St. Louis this August, but poor ticket sales forced them to postpone.

Technical difficulties prevent me from posting my favorite song from Taking the Long Way (just as this Mac that I'm using is keeping me from using italics).

So instead of "Voice Inside My Head," here's "Easy Silence."

http://rapidshare.de/files/23633335/02_Easy_Silence.mp3.html

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy snakes! a record grab from a.billy's momma? run and get that stuff stat, joe! there's gonna be some tight tunes in that batch.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I feel like Bette Midler comes up in conversation everyday. And yes, let's see what's in this record collection, shall we?

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home