Sunday, July 16, 2006

It takes no match to give me a spark.

In the past week, three different people have started conversations with me like this:

"Why aren't you on VH1's World Series of Pop Culture?"

I wish I had an answer, because I swear to Yahweh, if I was on a team with Blood Ray and my sister, I think we could really clean up.

After watching a marathon of the show yesterday, I'm convinced that entering the competition is the easiest way for me to get $250,000. I'd really need to study up on Mob Movies, though.

One category was called "One Hit Wonders," and I was a little bit nervous that they'd ask a question about one of my favorite bands, The Cardigans. It's just weird for me to hear them lumped in the same category with people like Sir Mix-A-Lot and Right Said Fred.

Some people look at me strangely when I mention that I'm in love with The Cardigans.

"Didn't they have that one song on the Romeo And Juliet soundtrack, like, 10 years ago?"

Yes, they did. They've also made three very excellent records since then: Gran Turismo (moody, electronic music), Long Gone Before Daylight (country-ish pop), and Super Extra Gravity (rock). That last one has yet to be released in this country.

I own all of their albums, as well as some DVDs, old bootleg VHS tapes of their shows, and a t-shirt.

cardigansDSCI0018

And my ringtone is a song from their current CD, "I Need Some Fine Wine, and You, You Need to be Nicer."

I have not had the chance to see them perform live. And since apparently their CDs aren't being released in the U.S., I thought I never would. I have a list of bands that I love but have never seen live, and The Cardigans are at the very top.

So imagine my surprise when I got a call from Mink telling me they'd be in Chicago at the Metro in September.

Plans were made, tickets were bought, and Lukas and I will be heading up that way in two short months.

Next on my list: Bright Eyes.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you missed fiona apple playing in the twin cities this month.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

go to www.vh1.com and click on the box for WSOPC, it tells you what to send them in an e-mail. I did it right after i posted this entry.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Limecrete said...

I watched some of it, and couldn't stop scoffing at how dumb those contestants were. My sister was equally furious. We could totally beat all these people into the ground. At least that's what I thought until they hit the "Old School Rap" category, which owned me.

What's weird about the Cardigans is that I hate their hit. That song is so freaking annoying, and I decided the band sucked based on it. It wasn't until much later that I heard some of their other songs and realized that they're way better than I thought.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

i would KILL the "Old School Rap" category. I saw another episode with "Sports Movies" and realized I'm not as amazing as I thought.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home