Tuesday, September 26, 2006

And Let's Not Forget Cutie McPretty.

This entry might be a little boring -- partly because I don't have any pictures or videos or mp3s to put up to accompany it, and partly because I'm just going to tell you about a boring-ass audiobook Lukas and I bought for our long car trip.

As previously hinted at, it was Assassination Vacation, by Sarah Vowell.

I'm sure the book has its share of fans, and maybe under different circumstances, I could've been one of them.

But the truth of the matter is this: when you're stuck in a car for 10 hours, you don't really want to hear an account of someone's journey to America's Greatest Assassination Monuments. Or, at least, I didn't want to.

Making it worse was the fact that Sarah Vowell narrated pretty much the whole thing. Maybe it was because of the subject matter, but I swear she sounded just like Rachel Dratch as Debbie Downer. The only fun I had was imagining a trumpet "wah-waaaah" sound after the really depressing statements.

My ears perked up during that part about the Oneida Community's weird sex cult, though.

Oh, and she referred to someone (President Garfield, I think -- but I was dozing off at this point) as Loner McBookworm.

It made me think about how I also adopted the practice of coming up with nicknames using words that describe people. I stole it from Professor Ross Geller, though, who called two of his students "Smelly Von Brownshirt" and "Sleepy Sleeperson" when he hadn't yet memorized their names.

I hear they do this on Grey's Anatomy, too.

Lukas also does this, and one day he came up with the exclamation "Yikes McsYikesersons," which makes absolutely no sense, but is too adorable not to use at every opportunity.

Tonight, the Fall Television Season officially begins for me: Gilmore Girls premieres in about three hours. It's the last season for our girls. Hopefully there's another show out there that will replace this one in my heart, but that might be asking for too much.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Veronica Mars has already replaced Gilmore Girls in my heart. I thought that this season opener would change my mind, but in fact it bored the crap out of me.

I just want happiness for Lorelai and Luke. Is that too much to ask?

9:14 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Happiness for Lorelai and Luke as a couple? Or separately?

He acts like a real bitch in next week's episode, from what I've seen.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home