Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Light in the Piazza

Not knowing at all what this show was about, I accepted some free tickets and headed off to the Fox Theatre. I'd read a little bit about TLITP and heard that it was:

A) a musical
B) set in Italy
C) romantic

SPOILER ALERT!

The hot Italian guy falls in love with the American tourist, but she has a secret! It's revealed at the end of Act One that she was kicked in the head by a Shetland pony at her tenth birthday party, and hasn't progressed emotionally since then. I just thought she was spunky.

P.S. How glad am I that my parents weren't rich enough to rent a pony for my childhood birthday parties?


Anyway, the songs were boring and slow, so I entertained myself by pretending that the role of the pony girl's mother was played by the ghost of Madeleine Kahn.

Bottom line: Don't pay to see this show, and don't assume that since all children love ponies that the feeling is mutual.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shavita said...

Yeah, I thought it looked pretty boring.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the plot was gruesome and I resented all the songs in Italian. I thought that was just arrogant.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Justin24601 said...

Well, as you know, since you saw me there, I wasn't a big fan. The moral of the story really was: Don't buy your 10-year-old a pony.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home